Skip to main content

Valle San Giovanni

Frazione of Teramo in Abruzzo Italy

Home  Around Town  Photos   Commercial  Arts & Culture  Historical   Religous  Press  Genealogical  Site Map   
S. Giovanni Pergulis I
S. Giovanni Pergulis II
S. Giovanni Pergulis III
Abandoned Frunti
Brigands
Archeological
Milestone Marker
Local Mills
Penns Grove Italians
Penns Grove-VSG Ties
 * One of the earliest written documents regarding Valle San Giovanni dates back to 1693 and  involves money that is to be paid to one of its residents, Ippolito di Bartolomeo.  It reads: Durante l’affitto della riscossione delle imposte, che venivano chiamate Collette, assegnato a Ippolito di Bartolomeo di Valle San Giovanni, si procede a stilare un elenco con le quote che l’uomo deve incassare, come i 101 ducati pagati dalla villa di Casanova (A.S.Te., Not. Marcacci G. di Montorio).

 * In 1858 the government published a collection of laws that that had previously been in force when southen Italy fell under the Kingdom of Two Sicilies. One of these was a Valle San Giovanni emphyteutic lease (a real estate contract specifying the lessee must improve the property, usually public lands with construction) involving Giansante di Giansante from Valle San Giovanni.

 * On 1 May 1816, during the time of the reform of the Borbon leaders, Valle San Giovanni became a communal capital. Frazioni (municipalities) under the jurisdiction of Valle San Giovanni included Abatemozzo, Iscarelli (see also 1850's documents), Faieto, Casanova, Poggio Rattieri, Borgonovo, Magliano, Poggio Valle and Valle Piola.


 * The citizens of Valle San Giovanni, immediately following the 1868 decision to downgrade the town from an independent commune to a municipality of the comune of Montorio al Vomano, petitioned to have this statute overturned. Their pleas were denied.

 *
Secondary to the "Leggi ed Atti del Regno d'Italia" (Laws and Acts of the Kingdom of Italy) promologated in the year 1868 Valle San Giovanni on 6 December 1868 lost its communal status. It then became a frazione of Montorio al Vomano.  This explains why, in the early 1900's many immigrants from Valle San Giovanni listed their home of record as Montorio al Vomano. In 1929 VSG became a frazione of the communal city of Teramo where it remains today. These events are important in that individuals searching for their ancestors' birth records born before 1929 will need to go to Montorio al Vomano to obtain birth, marriage and other related documents.

 * According to the Istorica Descrizione del Regno di Napoli, VSG in 1795 had a popluation of 333. It was also noted as having "fresh air". According to a census published by the Regno delle Due Sicilie VSG in 1835 had a population of 681.  In the book, Storia della città e Diocesi di Teramo, Vol III, by Niccola Palma, Valle San Giovanni is listed as having a population of 1306 in the year 1830.  The Dizionario Topografico dei Comuni d'Italia, gives VSG in 1908 a population of 1460. The Ninth General Census of the Population lists VSG in 1951 as having 790 inhabitants.

 *
The Amminstrativa, Giudizaria, Elettorale e Diocesana Dizionario dei Comuni (Administrative, Electoral and Diocese Dictionary of Communes) published by the Italian Ministry of the Interior in 1867, gives VSG in 1861-2 a population of exactly 2,000.
 
 *
Valle San Giovanni is mentioned several times in Toponomastica Italiana (Ulrico Hoepli,1990). The book traces the origins and history of placenames attributed to certain areas. Located in and around Valle San Giovanni are: Pera Tosta (Latin=tostu, It=tosto "hard"); Valzi di Frunti (Latin=Balteum, It=balzo "mountain/hill"); Valle Cintrella (Latin=cinctum, It=cintura "belt"); Marcaccione (It=marca "border/zone of demarcation"); La Malanotte (Latin=malu, It=male "bad/evil" and notte "night"); Casa Monda (Latin=mundu "clean/free of vegetation").
 
 *
In 1814 during the first years of the struggle for the unification of Italy (carbonarismo), a 24 year old soldier from Valle San Giovanni, Geremia Nicolina, was sentenced to death by the occupying Napoleanic rulers. He was shot by musket fire.

 *
The Archivio Botanico e Biogeografico Italiano, Volumes 42-43 (Università di Modena, Istituto Botanico, 1966) tells us that near VSG there lives the parasitic plant Loranthus Europaeus, a member of the mistletoe family.

 *
Most houses in Valle San Giovanni didn't have indoor plumbing until the late 1950's or early 1960's. Construction of the first bathrooms posed a problem as the houses tended to be small and lacked drainage pipes. One common yet innovative way of adding a bathroom involved connecting an attached room to the house, preferrably one that could be placed in an overhanging position. Look closely and your will see a large drainage pipe hanging straight down from the bathroom: (click to enlarge)

 *
A local historical source states:  "In epoca romana nelle immediate vicinanze dell'attuale Valle San Giovanni passava l'Interamnium Vorsus, il tratto cioè della via Cecilia che, proveniente da Amiternum, all'altezza dell'attuale Montorio deviava verso Interamnia e Castrum Novum, raggiungeva Travazzano, Santa Maria di Ponte a Porto e raggiungeva il mare seguendo il corso del fiume Tordino. Proprio a Valle infatti, in località "Cavonetto", nel 1993 fu rinvenuto il Cippo miliario "CXIIII" insieme a un tratto dell'antica strada. ....(e' possibile) camminare a Valle sull'antico percorso dei ROMANI" TRANSLATION: In the times of the empire a Roman road originated in Amiternum near L'Aquila, crossed a pass near the Gran Sasso, and arrived at Montorio al Vomano where it changed course towards Valle San Giovanni along what is now known as Via Cecilia. From here the road arrived at Travazzano, crossed a small bridge where now stands an ancient church known as Santa Maria di Ponte a Porto, and snaked along the Tordino River in the direction of Teramo and the Adriatic Sea. In 1933 a milestone with the inscription " CXIIII" was discovered in Valle San Giovanni in a location known as "Cavonetto". With some effort it is still possible to follow in the path of this Roman antiquity. More information about this find is available on this website as well as an article  by Giammario Sgattoni, in the book Notizie dell'Economia, Teramo, nn. 3-4, anno 1993, pp. 60-66). Scoperto a Valle San Giovanni un miliario della "Via del Batino" Information concerning the discovery of this milestone can also be found in the book, Antica Viabilita' in Abruzzo by Sandro Zenodocchio.

 *
The book, L'ultima Dimora: 25 anni di annunci funebri sul Corriere Abruzzese (1876-1899), 2008, by Federico Adamoli lists an obituary of Carmine Ciccone who passed away 26 November, 1894: Un male terribile, indomabile ha rapito all'affetto dei suoi il 22 corrente in Valle S. Giovanni Carmine Ciccone; lunga e penosa è stata la sua malattia. Egli toccava appena 55 anni, era ancor vegeto ed avea nel volto una bellezza senile che inspirava bontà e fiducia, e buono e pio era il povero Carmine Ciccone. La sua dipartita è stata quindi un dolore sinceramente sentito da quanti lo conoscevano.
   In this same book there is mention of an event in the year 1898 in which Ventura Trifone, who was visiting relatives in Valle S. Giovanni, died in a hunting accident:  Valle S. Giovanni (2-11-1898)  FATALE DISGRAZIA - Ieri l'altro, nel pomeriggio, il prete de Michele giungeva trafelato da Valle S. Giovanni a portare agli amici la triste nuova della morte del giovine Ventura Trifoni di Domenico, di Giulianova. Il povero Trifoni, lasciata la sua signora in Teramo in casa della madre sig. Tattoni de Carolis era andato da tre o quattro giorni in montagna per una partita di caccia in compagnia del suo cognato Ubaldo de Carolis e di un familiare. La caccia era stata discreta: lunedì mattina aveva inviato a Teramo sette lepri e tre starne da dividersi tra i parenti e gli amici. Verso mezzogiorno, sceso in tenimento di Valle S. Giovanni, e fermatosi fuori una masseria, qui gli accadde un caso disgraziato che lo uccise. Aveva a tracollo il fucile a due botte, che per essersi rotta la cinghia, batté sul terreno, e scattato il colpo lo prese in piena testa, asportandogli gran parte del cervello. La morte fu istantanea. A tale spettacolo coloro che gli sono attorno, rimangono impietriti; il povero cognato, credendo che il ferito respirasse ancora corre a chiamare un medico; altri sorreggono l'infelice, ma indarno cercano di ridargli la vita. Il buon Venturino non era che un freddo cadavere! A Teramo, dove i Trifoni hanno larghe aderenze di amicizie, la triste nuova non poteva che produrre la più profonda e dolorosa impressione. A Giulianova dove venne telegrafato, fu un piano generale. Alcuni amici, B. Cichetti, Federici ed altri, appresa la fulminea notizia, partono subito con una vettura per Teramo e Valle S. Giovanni, ma sulla strada provinciale, presso Scimitarra, s'imbattono con la povera moglie, la quale avendo trapelata confusamente la notizia, di era avviata a piedi verso il luogo disgraziato. Salita in vettura, ed arrivata a Valle S. Giovanni, si poté con pietosi sotterfugi evitare di farle vedere il cadavere del marito, che proprio in quel momento veniva trasportato alla chiesa. Tornata in Teramo, in casa dei suoi, sembra tuttora ebetita dal dolore. Povera signora! Non ha altro conforto che quello nei due bambini, due angioletti pegno sacro dell'amore immenso che nutriva per lei, fino dall'adolescenza, il suo Venturino.  

 
 *
Giovanni Pansa in the book Miti, Leggende and Superstizioni d'Abruzzo/Myths, Legends and Superstitions of Abruzzo (Sulmona, Caroselli, 1924; in Italian) writes about location very near Valle San Giovanni known as Pecorale (a place where sheep are kept).

 * Giuseppe Iezzi and Giorgio Morelli in the book Cronaca Teramana dei Banditi, 1661-1683 (Deputazione Abruzzese di Storia Patria, 1983; in Italian) mention Valle San Giovanni several times in their accounts of how the Spanish and Napoleanic forces fought to conquer and defeat the many bandits and brigands who terrorized Abruzzo in the mid 17th century. Two of the most famous outlaws were Titta Colarieri and Santuccio.

 *
  Giovanni Di Marco, Lucio Di Blasio and Sabatino Fratini in the book Paesi Abbandonati present information and photos regarding the remains of the abbey San Giovanni in Pergulis located on the outskirts of Valle San Giovanni, the “Fonte Vecchia” where the Roman milestone marker was discovered, the village of Valle Soprana, the church door of Madonna di Ponte a Porto located in Travezzano, and the now-abandoned village of Frunti (about 1 km due west of Valle San Giovanni).

 *
Luigi Pigliacelli in the book Memoria Sulla Cava del Carbone Fossile rinvenuta in Valle San Giovanni ne 1. Abbruzzo Ultra (Napoli, Stabilimento Poligrafico Coster, 1843, 24 pp) writes a first hand account of the geological characteristics of the area in and around Valle San Giovanni. 

 *
1848, 1850, and 1858 emphyteusis arrangements decreed by the Kindom of Two Sicilies.
 
 *
The historical communal archives located in Montorio al Vomano mention a number of landholding trusts, wills, and so on, related to Valle San Giovanni. Some date back as far as the 1500's. In 2006 Montorio al Vomano completed an extensive inventory, Archivo Storico Comunale - Inventario, of their records dating from the years 1573 to 1966. Contained in this publication as well are a good number of documents that directly relate to Valle San Giovanni. (in Italian).

 *
Several historical envelopes and stamps exist bearing the postmark of Valle San Giovanni.